Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lantern, Light and Me with a Knife?!

I have no problem turning night into day, well at home that is.  I can walk into any room of my house and flip a switch, and voila!  "LET THERE BE LIGHT!"  Okay, so I'm no magician, but just a few hundred years ago, I might have be considered one!

Our project was to make a lantern out of paper.  Before Ben Franklin flew his kite and discovered electricity, people used candles and oil in lanterns to light their homes.  I can tell you this, I would not have survived back in Ben's day!  We were challenged to make a lantern with a seasonal theme. 
 
Not only am I a technology-dependent teenager, as I said before, I am not so crafty, so this assignment proved to be a real challenge for me.
 
This was a difficult project for me, since I am not used to working with an craft knife. I was a little scared using it but I think that it turned out well and I am so proud of what I was able to create!  I still have all ten fingers too! 
 
I chose Winter as my season.  I love snow and the beautiful white blanket it leaves behind.  Winter is so calm, quite and still when it snows.  I really like how I can sit and just enjoy the beautiful scenery around me.  It's so clean and so peaceful.  I wanted my lantern to reflect the quiet, calm, outdoor view of a leaf-less tree with a snowman nearby.  You can almost feel the wind blowing across the tree and keeping the snowman's scarf flowing in the breeze.
 
I hope you enjoy my creation!
 
 
 
Leaf-less tree

 
Cold icicles, snow mounds and a whipping wind

 
There's my snowman!  His scarf is blowing in the cold winter air.

 
Old Man Winter gusts of wind!

 
Calm, peaceful, still...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment