Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Who's Your Artist?!

He was referred to as the "Prince of Pop Art".  His artwork has influenced many young artists of today.  He is the man behind many of the famous, colorful paintings of famous people and even soup cans.  This man's name is Andy Warhol.
 
Andy Warhol was born in Pittsburgh, PA on August 6th, 1928 and died at the age of 58 on February 22nd, 1987.  You have probably seen his work before but never knew he was the master mind behind it.  Andy Warhol is best known for his painting of the Campbell's Tomato Soup can.  He is also known for doing many silk screens of Marilyn Monroe, Michael Jackson, Mick Jagger and many more stars.  Warhol knew how to stay prominent in society by being friends with movie stars, musicians, and socialites.
 
I like Andy Warhol because he is not afraid to express himself and he makes his art work up to date with society likes and interests.  His soup can painting made you look at it more and see that even every day items can still be considered art.  His silk screens showed vast amounts of colors.  The colors expressed to me the emotions of the people in his work.  Andy Warhol was never afraid to speak his mind and share advice with others.  My favorite quote of his is, "Don't pay attention to what they write about you.  Just measure it in inches."


Marilyn Monroe by Andy Warhol
 
Marilyn Monroe always looks beautiful in every picture I see her in.  But this on is probably my favorite one.  She looks so bright and happy.  I love the color for her hair and eye shadow.  It makes me wonder why Andy Warhol choose these colors for her.  Did she have a bright personality or did she have a colorful out look on her life?
 

Zebra by Andy Warhol
 
This zebra definitely made my eyes pop with all of the colors.  Zebras are usually the same, boring black and white stripes.  But Warhol thought this Zebra needed a new look.  I love how the colors make you think why he painted it yellow, red and orange.  Why didn't he paint it blue, purple or even pink.
 

Soup by Andy Warhol
 
I like the tomato soup can painting because it is so realistic and unexpected.  who would of thought that a soup can can be a piece of art.  Definitely not me.  I would have said its just a can, but Andy Warhol saw more than just a can.  That's what makes it so interesting
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Great Job Jordan! Thoughtful, well-structured post. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete